Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Basil Pesto

I love fresh basil, and have about 6 plants of it growing in my garden. It did the best out of everything I planted this year.  So I would hate for my plants to go to waste, so I made some pesto!

Ingredients: 
Not pictured: 1/2 cup EVOO and salt and pepper to taste

Notes:

  • The basil should be packed tight. 
  • Pine nuts are EXPENSIVE! You can buy them in the health market at the grocery store in bulk.  They are $38 a pound, unless you don't know that you are supposed to put a sticker on the health market stuff, and weigh it back there, and you go to a dumb high school aged cashier.  Yes ladies and gentlemen, she didn't know how to put the code in so I told her they were expensive and her math calculated that .22 x $38 = $1.00.  I'm not complaining! You can sub walnuts if you want. 
  • I like to used the garlic in a jar because it is quick and easy! 

Directions: 

In a food processor, chop up the basil and the pine nuts.  Next, add garlic, salt, and pepper. Pulse a few times.  Then drizzle in the olive oil, and pulse a few more times.  If you are going to use the pesto soon, you can add the cheese.  I read that if you would like to freeze it, don't put the cheese in, freeze it in ice cube trays, and then you can add the cheese later. I have always froze mine with the cheese, but I might try this next time! 



Serve with pasta, on a basil, tomato sandy, pizza, or with crackers and tomatoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment